An exam trip to Varanasi

Varanasi or Benaras, situauted on the bank of the Ganges is considered to be one of the oldest inhabited cities on Earth. The first time I had set foot on this holy land was in August 2017 when my train decided to change it's route on way to Delhi. I had to get down here and continue my journey to Allahabad on bus. However it was not long when I got my second opportunity to visit this famed city. CSIR NET December 2017. As I was staying in Allahabad, Varanasi was the closest exam centre. Though I was on tight schedule I managed to visit a few spots within the approx. 24 hours I was in the city. So this is my encounter with the holy city.

Banaras Hindu University(BHU): This is the first place that I should mention in the list as it was the venue of the exam. BHU was founded in 1916 by Madan Mohan Malaviya as the Central Hindu College. Today BHU is a public Central University and holds the record for being the largest residential university in Asia.

BHU entrance
BHU entrance
Ghats of Benaras: Being located along side the holy river, the ghats of Banaras are a major attraction. The entire city touches the river at 88 ghats of which most are bathing ghats, a few used for ceremonial purpose and two for cremation of dead bodies. Assi ghat is the southernmost ghat and close to BHU. Ganga aarti is held every evening at Assi ghat and Dashaswamedh ghat, of which the later is a grander affair and renowned. Manikarnika and Harishchandra Ghats are reserved for Hindu cremation rituals. I must agree that a boat ride during sunset is one the best ways to experience these ghats. We boarded one near the Assi Ghat, rowed down till Manikarnika Ghat and back.

Assi Ghat
Assi Ghat
Ganga Mahal Ghat
Ganga Mahal Ghat
Jain Ghat
Jain Ghat
Prabhu Ghat
Prabhu Ghat
Kedar Ghat
Kedar Ghat
Chet Singh Ghat
Chet Singh Ghat
Lalita Ghat
Lalita Ghat
Dashashwamedh Ghat
Dashashwamedh Ghat
Darbhanga Ghat
Darbhanga Ghat
Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple: This temple dates back to 1500s and is believed to have been established by the great saint Tulsidas who also authored Ramcharitmanas. This is one of the few temples where Lord Hanuman is seen facing his Lord Rama.

Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple
Entrance to the temple

Most of the facts mentioned have been taken from internet. Read in details here:



No comments:

Post a Comment